A commonly overlooked chapter in the history of Singapore cinema, sources point to the fact that the 1980s was in fact a fertile ground for moving images, with a prevalence of film competitions, home moviemaking, and underground filmmaking. However, save for a few disparate records and a handful of viewable materials, not much else is known about this era.
In order to shed more light on this decade, the Asian Film Archive would like to invite you to submit any short films or videos made during this decade for possible preservation and screenings. We welcome contributions from filmmakers, collectors, companies and the public alike.
Please fill in all required fields for this application via this Google Form. For fields that are not applicable, kindly indicate N/A.
For enquiries or assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Films must be made by a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Films made by non-Singaporeans must be shot exclusively in Singapore.
- All films must be produced between 1980 and 1989.
- Submission deadline is 30 November 2021
- Only applicants of selected films will be notified.
- Digital submissions via online preview links will be prioritised.
- However, if only an analog film or video format is available for submission, physical VHS/DVD/VCD copies will be accepted for consideration. For other film and video formats, please email email@example.com
- All physical submissions are to be done at the AFA office on Level 6, National Library Building by appointment via firstname.lastname@example.org only. (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 11am-1pm and 3-5pm)
- Do note that works that are not selected will be returned. The deposit of the films and film related materials is strictly for preview purposes and does not constitute an archival agreement nor an assignment or transfer of the copyright or any other intellectual property rights. Unless explicitly expressed, any rights subsisting in the films and film related materials will remain vested in the relevant copyright owners.
Potential Logistics Processes
(For Analog Entries)
- Fill up the submission form with information about your film(s).
- For submission of physical materials, please indicate the appointment date and time to drop it off at AFA on level 6 at the National Library building.
- If you are unable to make it for the indicated days/timings, please email us at email@example.com with the subject heading “1980s SG SHORT FILM Submission [YOUR FILM TITLE]” to arrange for an appointment to submit the film/video item/s.
- Receive an email notification from AFA upon the submission of your film(s).
- The AFA will inform you of its selection decision within 6-8 weeks.